Recipe: The BEST Cake that’s also Gluten Free & Dairy Free!
Updated: May 17
In trying to make a gluten free and dairy free cake that my husband can eat, I tried so many recipes, some GF and DF specific, others I have modified. So many disappointments! If you have been on a similar journey you know what I mean! BUT finally I got success!! After making it a number of times and different flavourings, I have it nailed and it’s just too good to not share.
This one I come up with is a variation of an angel cake and it’s honestly my favourite layered cake recipe ever - even when not baking for my allergy husband (!), it’s consistently light, fluffy, never dense or dry, and best of all it’s easy and always turns out perfect!
I use it for all my parties and events and no one knows it’s a weird allergy free cake, and I always get compliments.
So if you a looking for a birthday cake recipe that is actually really yummy or looking for a GF, DF impossible cake - look no further, give it a go and let me know what you think!
My original flavour combo was lychee and strawberry, but I have since used many other flavour combinations, so feel free to do the flavours you like best. This one pictured here is lemon and passion fruit.
Don’t need it to be Gluten or Dairy free? Easy! Swap these and it will still be perfect.
Want gluten - use plain flour instead of gluten free plain flour.
Want dairy - Keep the coconut milk - don’t swap for anything else. Use regular butter instead of Nutlex in the icing. Let it soften a little before adding.
Angel Cake tin - a must have to get the impressive height, bounce and super fluffy cake. And be sure to NOT grease it. It’s needs to stick to the walls to rise and stay high.
7 eggs separated (keep only 5 yolks and all 7 egg whites)
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
2/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup olive oil
100ml coconut milk
1 cup gluten free plain flour
2 tsp of chosen flavour (ie. vanilla, lychee liqueur, lemon, chocolate, etc)
Choosen fruit for filling between layers (ie. strawberries, lychees, passionfruit, cherries… any flavour you want!!)
Swiss Meringue Buttercream
6 egg whites
2 cups icing sugar mixture
1 cup Nutlex olive oil dairy free butter
1 tsp chosen flavour (any essence/liqueur/etc)
Optional food colouring
1. Preheat oven to 170 and make sure you have an angel cake tin - ungreased. 2. using an electric mixer with a whisk attachment, whisk 7 egg whites and cream of Tartar until medium peaks form. Add 1/3 sugar - one tbs at a time until stiff peaks form.
3. In a separate large bowl hand whisk 5 egg yolks and 1/3 sugar until pale and thick. Add oil, coconut milk and chosen flavour. Whisk until combined. Add flour, baking powder, and whisk until just smooth.
4. Spoon 1/3 meringue mixture into egg yolk mixture. Whisk until just combined. Fold in remaining mixture gently but also ensuring it is combined well - no white pockets.
5. Pour into tin and smooth surface. Bake for 30-40min.
6. Immediately invert until the cake is completely cool. This will still stop the cake from flattening too much.
7. While waiting make the icing.
8. When cool, run knife around tin and release the cake. Carefully cut horizontally through the cake to make it into either two or three layers.
9. Layer icing and fruit filling between layers and then ice the outside of the cake and decorate to your preference.
1. Add egg whites and sugar into an electric mixing bowl and place over a pot of boiling water. Continually stir until when touched between your fingers you can’t feel sugar grains
2. Move to mixer with the whisk attachment - it’s ok that it’s still warm. Whisk on high for 10-15 min until bowl is cool and stiff peaks form
3. Ensuring it’s cool, add butter a tbs at a time using the paddle attachment until just combined - over mixing will make it too runny
4. Fold in flavour and colouring
If a little runny place in fridge for no more than 20min
Hope you and your loved ones love this as much as we do!!